Active Invigilation Training
This 2 ½ hr innovative, lively, active learning session focuses on managing candidates and being vigilant. It gives participants a chance to think about, and practise, the vital exam room skills that go alongside knowledge of the rules and regulations. As well as input on teamwork, the session is itself an excellent team-building activity. It will also help with the practical skills needed to satisfy the workplace assessment element of the IQ Invigilation Awards.
The precise programme is agreed with the exam officer to ensure it is geared to the needs of that particular exam team, and complements in-house training of invigilators in exam procedures. Areas covered include a selection of topics from the following list:
- What kind of intervention helps defuse challenging behaviour – and when it’s best to do nothing
- How invigilators can reduce student stress in exams – and avoid adding to it
- Ways to anticipate and avoid problems, and if these do arise:
- To prepare invigilators for what might go wrong
- To help invigilators deal with problems confidently and well
- To avoid adversely affecting working conditions for other candidates.
- Developing and practising skills in observation and vigilance
- Reinforcing consistency and making teamwork even more effective
- Building good relationships with students in the exam room
- Being a calm and authoritative presence around the exam hall
This is for you if you are a member of an invigilation team which wants to gain skills in dealing with young people, or if you are an exam officer or senior invigilator who would like to develop your invigilation team.
Session time is 2½ hours but can be extended. The training is normally hosted by the centre, and the cost is from £285*, with a £20 reduction for members of the Examination Officers’ Association. We also ask for reasonable travel costs. We may be able to offer a further reduction for very small exam teams.
“Thank you very much for yesterday. I have had a lot of good feedback this morning from everyone.” Exams Officer, Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School and Humanities College
“We all gained something from it in different ways … One of the invigilators said that the day made them feel really valued and (as) if they belonged to the school which was part of the aim I was trying to achieve”. Lee Bothwell, Exam Officer, Birchwood High School
Basic Invigilator Training
Come to ETD for an informative and enjoyable 2 hour session using presentation and discussion to train your invigilation team in the basics of invigilation. The precise programme will depend on the needs of your centre, but typically covers a selection of topics from the following list:
- Role of invigilators in centre/broader context
- Preparing the exam room
- Exam paperwork and paper security
- Basic introduction to access arrangements
- Starting exams
- Being vigilant and observant
- Preventing, identifying and reporting malpractice
- Responding to candidate queries
- Finishing exams
Session time is 2 hours. The training is normally hosted by the centre, and the cost is from £185*, with a £10 reduction for members of the Examination Officers’ Association. We also ask for reasonable travel costs.
* These prices are based on 20 participants. An additional fee applies for larger groups.
Comments from some of our training sessions:
“The course leaders knew exactly what it was like to be an invigilator and could offer really insightful and useful information/tips”
“Very friendly and made it fun”
“Planned well, good structure, informative”
“Thank you for the session. It was well planned & presented. (also for the chocolate!)”